Thursday, December 02, 2010

What It Means To Have Dial Up Internet

An open letter to Berry Laker sons 1&2. I'm not worried, they don't read my blog anyway. I'm humoring myself again, you two readers know that.

What a day on the web.

You do not know how lucky you are to have high speed internet. It's getting late on Thursday night and I am sitting here trying to surf the web. What a pain in the butt!

As you know I have had dial up since the middle of February when we moved to the compound smack in the middle of the Nicolet National Forest. High speed internet? Remember we live seven miles from the nearest high speed internet connection.

Sure sure, you can sit there and text, surf the web and talk to your friends with those fancy phones your parents bought you. I don't have your blackberry or those fancy lap tops, I know, I know, you need them for school. Remember, I have a 2004 and still working Dell desk top. ThankYou Dell.

I cannot watch any video's because it takes 2 hours to download.

I have to read my google e mails in "load Basic HTML mode.

I have Carbonite back up but can't use it because it slows my PC down surfing the web. I have to pause the back up from 4:15 am till 7:00 pm which are some of the times during that day that I might be on my PC.

I lately found out about Microsoft Security Essentials to scan for viruses. It's free and works great. Thank you Microsoft. Oh, I forgot I set my back up at 5:00 am while I am having coffee and breakfast. What else could I do during back up.

To listen to Rush, Jay Weber or Mark Belling over the web I cannot do anything else because even going to my Google home page would interrupt the feed and cut me off. You then have to start the down load all over again. Sorry Charlie Sykes, I could never listen to you over the net, somehow WTMJ has too much clutter to download to get a clear feed.

Oh, save pictures or files, can't do. Anything I saved in my hard drive would slow my internet service so I just wiped everything out. Took up too much memory.

Satellite internet, are you kidding. First we're here in the middle of the forest, too many trees, it's too expensive and Cellcom's nearest tower is 8 miles away, won't work.

Sure, you guys can laugh at me for having a blog, but to keep some semblence of sanity I could only do what I could at Berry Laker.com with dial up. Since I quit smoking cigs it's been extra tough with dial up.

Sure sure, I know you don't remember 8 tracks, cassette taped music and black and white TV. By the way "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Miracle on 34th Street' in black and white is still the only way to watch them. I wish you could work with dial up for just one day to appreciate high speed internet.

I know you sometimes see the old man lose his cool but sometimes you just have to know why.

Well tomorrows another day and let's hope it will go better when it comes to surfing the internet.

Dam, your lucky being in Milwaukee with high speed wireless internet.

Back up is starting, good night boys.

I need a drink.

No comments: