Wednesday, November 10, 2010

PSA, How To Stave Off A Wolf

Interesting read from the Escanaba Daily Press.

Continuing further along the logging road, which was shaped like a horseshoe, Mattson came upon what he believed to be a she-wolf and a younger wolf, standing over a freshly-killed doe.

"When I saw them, I stopped a good 50 to 60 yards away. What I didn't notice, however, was one very large wolf beginning to angle his way toward me from behind," said Mattson.

It wasn't until after he heard the snarling and growling from behind that he realized the situation he was in.

Utilizing basic survival skills in relation to encounters with wildlife, Mattson began yelling and screaming at the animal and making himself appear larger - a bluff to make the animal leave.

So that's how I do it if I meet one in the north woods. I am hoping that day doesn't come. Back to the story, the wolf didn't leave, there's more if your interested.

2 comments:

Dad29 said...

Appearance changes, noise,.....

AND a handy-dandy .45 sidearm...

In whichever order you please!!

Make all the difference in the world.

Paul - Berry Laker said...

Dad, I agree. I'll take the .45.

Have a GREAT week.