Monday, September 27, 2010

The NFL's Old Man Passes Away

From SF Gate.

George Blanda passes away at 83.

Blanda was known as the Ageless Wonder because he didn't retire until he was just short of his 49th birthday.

As a kid who was four blocks away when Starr crossed the goal line, standing outside of uncle Stanly's house on Morris Ave. in Ashwaubenon.

Back in 1968 going to the inter squad game for I think, two bucks. My good buddy Mike N hit me on the shoulder and said look. There, when they did the first remodel of Lambeau Field, I turned around to see Vince Lombardi for the first time, no more then 15 feet away. I will never forget his smile with what I thought was space between his upper front teeth. How blessed I have been.

My two boys will never understand how much of a Packer fan I am. I have truly seen history in the making.

As I have told my family many times my goal is to live to 83.

Mr Blanda, I only hope when the Lord calls me, I hope at 83 like you, I hope I can shake your hand. Thank you for the memories as a youngster in NFL football.

Bless you George Blanda.

No comments: