Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Favre Says He Didn't

From the New York Post
"ANGRY FAVRE CLAIMS HE DIDN'T HURT PACKERS
YES, HE TALKED TO LIONS; NO, HE DIDN'T HELP THEM" NEW YORK JETS QUARTERBACK BRETT FAVRE DENIES HELPING MATT MILLEN, DETROIT LIONS - New York Post

Post Staff Report
Last updated: 6:11 pm
October 22, 2008
Posted: 1:51 pm
October 22, 2008

An angry Brett Favre spent most of his weekly press conference today admitting he talked to Lions president Matt Millen but denying he gave him any information that would have helped against the Packers six weeks ago.

"I'm sure his intentions were to fish me for information. and to just ask me how we attacked them last year," Favre said of Millen's phone call to him. "We attacked them pretty good.

"I didn't give him any game plan. I haven't been in that offense in over a year. I don't know what else to tell you. It was pretty simple."

TODAY'S JETS BLOG

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reported Sunday that "Earlier this year, Brett Favre called the Detroit Lions, starting off with (former GM) Matt Millen and then the coaching staff and gave them a 90-minute dissertation on every single thing that the Green Bay Packers do on offense."

Favre said it was Millen who called him, invited him hunting in nearby Bethlehem, Pa., where Millen lives, and that football was discussed.

Favre said it was a 15-20 minute conversation during his ride home from the Jets New York Jets ' training facility in Florham Park.

"To be spending whatever amount of time giving away another game plan is totally not true," Favre said. "It's ridiculous from both sides. It's unfair for this team. It's unfair for those guys up there (in Green Bay) trying to play, too."

Favre, clearly agitated, said he recalled completing 22 straight passes in the first meeting with the Lions last season, but claimed he did not provide more detail than the fact his team used a spread formation in that game.

"I don't want to make this any bigger than it is," Favre said. "I can assure you it wasn't anything."

Favre said former players and coaches exchange information all the time -- "It happens more than you know" -- and claimed he would not go out of his way to harm the Packers, who traded him to the Jets during training camp after rejecting his comeback attempt in favor of Aaron Rodgers.

Favre said players are not being "brainwashed" but maybe told to think he has that agenda.

"I wouldn't say [there's] anger as much as 'Here we go again,'" Favre said. "I wish those guys well in Green Bay. I have a lot of friends, not only as far as teammates are concerned but coaches and just people in general there.

"It's unfortunate the way some of the things went down this offseason. No hard feelings. I'm happy to be here. I'm tryin to get ready for the Chiefs.

"Believe me, I'm trying my best to help this team win, the New York Jets. I'm spending no time trying to make sure the Packers lose. I've got enough on my plate, believe me."

The Packers defeated the Lions, 48-25, on Sept. 14.

Favre, who speaks to the media once a week on Wednesdays, spent the first 16 minutes of an 18-minute press conference talking about the Lions report. He then answered two football-related questions and departed.

Favre also said it was Cowboys QB Tony Romo who called him for advice after breaking his finger, not the other way around.

"Let me clarify this: I did not call the Lions nor did I call Tony Romo. I don't know what else to tell everyone. I'm not calling people."

Glazer defended what he wrote.

"I stand by my story 1,000 percent," Glazer told The Associated Press. "I guess Brett and I will just agree to disagree on certain things. The way I do my work, I don't go on what just one person told me. I investigated this fully and for quite some time. I spoke with several sources, and when I go with something, I make sure it's dead-on. I think my track record speaks for itself."

No comments: