Friday, October 24, 2008

Election, Packers

Good to know even pro athletes make some sense.
From JS Online

"Election chatter fills locker room
Taxes top concern for some Packers
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 24, 2008

Green Bay - The receivers throw down their cards and start arguing over who is cheating, who really won and who needs to deal next. The rest of the locker-room talk is focused on personal stuff, families, kids or social life. " JS Online: Election chatter fills locker room

"I don't believe in pro-choice," Gbaja-Biamila said. "I don't believe in same-sex marriage. . . . I don't believe you should be punished if you make more (money)."

The issues that matter to the Packers are the same for the rest of us, but taxes come up first. The war in Iraq wasn't mentioned.

"Taxes. There are guys in here talking about them taking 60% in taxes from us," said cornerback Tramon Williams, who is undecided but voted Democratic in the last election, before he was in the NFL. "That's a lot. That point of view I don't like, right there."

Second-year running back Brandon Jackson still remembers the first time he opened his NFL paycheck.

"It was like, what!" Jackson said. "Taxes were almost half."

Wisconsin native and longtime right tackle Mark Tauscher wouldn't say who he was voting for, either, but admitted that he had loved the change in conversation.

"It is such a big election that I think guys are paying attention," he said. "I'm very interested in politics. You know, it's a lot like sports: Constant competition. You have to be prepared for something to come up every week. It's probably the closest arena next to sports.

"And I love getting into arguments. I just listen to what people have to say. And then I'll give my opinion on it and then usually I'll make up some facts to push my point."

Tauscher grinned.

"But really, it really is fascinating to hear different guys' points of view," he said.


Just think, some of these guys make big money. If they got taxed less, what would happen? Ahhhhhhhh, they would spend it! Somebody would benefit from it, Maybe G M, Carver Boat, home builders, Taxes go up, money is tight and you start to get more and more layoffs.

Good Read.

No comments: