Monday, February 14, 2011

How To Break A Union, Oshkosh Style

I remember the good old days back in I think 1982. I worked at Warehouse Foods on Jackson Street in Oshkosh Wisconsin. The owner of the store I managed got the local food and commercial union a little ticked that the employees I think, would not join the union. The local president , first name Dick had a informational picket in front of the store for 42 or 43 weeks. I kid you not. Just like this picture from Google.






Union paid picketers at the two entrances to the grocery store. It got to the point, I felt sorry for the poor people trying to stop shoppers from coming to our store. It was cold and I offered them hot coffee and cocoa in the winter. Let me get to the point.


The OWNER and a GREAT friend (Mike) who helped direct the store always were on the cutting edge of the grocery industry. My friend went on to take Roundy's and the Pick n Saves forward to greatness before the big corporations took it down and the Owner, I will call him George came up with a GREAT idea.


Mind you, the picketers were still trying to block the entrances of the store. He authorized me to buy a full semi truck of


"Pickets Beer" 


from Joseph S. Pickett & Sons, Inc.out of Iowa ,
   

It cost us around 2.25 a 12 pack but sold over 2000 12pks of Pickets Beer for a $1.99.. That pretty much broke the unions back and they said good bye.


I have an idea, We should all pitch in and buy a truck of Pickets beer and let the union members tomorrow have some beer while they march in Madison. 


Poor devils. 


PS, those days back in the early 80's bring back some good memories. Thank you George, Mike, Don, Loie, Darrel, Diane, Jerry, Bob and a good friend who is now in Heaven, Carol, miss you dear. I have a story someday about Carol. She was one GRAND lady.  

No comments: