Thursday, October 15, 2009

Gypsies, Tramps And Theives

From Charlie Sykes and JSOnline
"Today’s job fair at State Fair Park featured a lot of don’ts
By James Causey of the Journal Sentinel
Oct. 14, 2009 "
Today’s job fair at State Fair Park featured a lot of don’ts - JSOnline

We all know how tough the job market is. It seems like everyday one company is closing, cutting back or asking its employees for concessions. We’re in a recession and unemployment levels are at historic levels.

So when there is a job fair like the one held today at the Tommy G. Thompson Youth Center at State Fair Park you would expect employees to come prepared. Right?

Wrong?

I expected to see a lot of business suits, dresses and skirts, instead I saw too many saggin’ jeans, sneakers and thongs. Yes, thongs. Not only that, too many people showed up without resumes.

One woman bending over a table to fill out her application showed not only her thong but she revealed a flowered “tramp stamp,” for everyone to see.

My observations were not alone. Chris Froh, a human relations coordinator for Select Specialty Hospital told me that a lot of potential employees arrived today unprepared. And her company is actually looking to fill eight positions.

Froh did not talk about how people were dressed but she did say first impressions mean a lot. She’s right about that because of the hundreds of people who showed up within the first hour of the job fair I could count on one hand how many men I saw in suits.

Actually I know I saw more men in jogging suits than business suits.

And before some of you come down hard on me and say that people are poor and cannot afford suits, I would say this, the expensive name brand jeans, over-sized shirts and expensive sneakers cost more than a pair of khakis, a blue shirt and a tie.

Simply put, I think a lot of people need to be taught how to come prepared for a job interview. Especially with times as tough as they are right now, they need to know what a first impression means.

Am I being too harsh? Thoughts?


No comments: