Friday, February 29, 2008

My First Kagen Visit

I thought I would post this since it seems Dr. K., our Wisconsin's 8th District Congressman might be under a microscope in the future. Got to see our man in Green Bay. This is the long version of my day with our good Doctor.

Date - Thursday Feb. 21, 2008
Place -Titletown Brewery in Green Bay.
Purpose - Brown County Taxpayers Association
Guest Speaker - Steve Kagen
Host Richard Parins - Good guy asks a lot of tough questions. Is passionate about taxpayers money.

Wow everybody, I got to see Dr K , what a guy, ahhhhhhh, I'll leave it at that! My first impression, he looked like another ultra lib, Robert Redford, and I wasn't even drinking! I took some written notes. A friend of mine was right, I need to get a digital recorder. To be accurate with this politition will be difficult. Need to catch him on tape. I will be up front with all of you. Going to these kind of functions is new to me and I am in a learning curve on active politics. Had the chance to ask some questions a good friend helped me with. I submitted two and got them asked.

1) Should all earmarks be given transparency by identifying the earmark sponsored and do you support minority leader John Boehner's reform measures, House Resolution 479 and HR 559.

His quote, "Definitely", I ran by standing by your pork" to first part. Yep. that's what he said. Named earmarks he has brought into northeastern Wis,. Second part never answered. I understand earmarks, but this guy is really in campaign mode. Taking credit for what he brought in and what he wants to spend in the future. He says he want to turn U S 41 into an interstate. Wants to have a V A hospital built in Green Bay.

2) Concerning your proposal " No Discrimination in Health Care legislation ( HR 5449) - One piece of your legislation would require health care providers to post their prices. You have said that prices in your family's Allergy clinics aren't posted because current law won't allow it. Could you please tell us what current law you are speaking of ?

During his opening remarks he spent 5 minutes on this. Doctors and clinics should post prices. Thought I had him on this one! When the question was asked he said, he doesn't own his clinics, sold them and pretty much question was dropped. Questioner made comment well you don't own them so we don't need an answer. I should of pushed him on what law is on the books! His big thing is to push "purchasing pools".

Other questions that were asked. Paraphrasing some questions and answers.

Hobart, what will you do to stop land being taken off tax rolls by Native American tribes? Hurting tax base to towns and villages.
Answer, It's a state and federal solution. The fed should make townships that loose tax base whole again. Didn't answer the question except we taxpayers should pay for it. You people in Hobart, he's leaving you HIGH and DRY! In his mind he probably said " you SUCKERS" Rolled right into paper mill in Niagrara loosing jobs and the company is responsible for displaced workers when plants shut down. Throw it on the business, It's big businesses fault.

Fisa law., "it's a SMOKESCREEN, we are secure in this country"! He said it again, "it's a SMOKESCREEN!" What the heck is he talking about. Someone should be able to run with this one! We can now say Steve Kagen is on record as saying we are all safe and there is nothing to worry about as far as a terrorist threat. Wants the courts to rule on who should be listened to before we ease drop on some terrorist. Mr. Kagen also said, " cell phones are being tracked now!" Wow, what does he know that us average people don't know. Steve , how do you know this?

Question brought up about Pension Benefit System. Senator Bird's wife when he dies will get all his federal benefits from the federal government. Is that right. Other people don't have those kind of benefits.

Are you ready for the answer, Sit down, get ready for this one, and I quote Steve, "I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT." Holy cow Batman, what did we send him to Washington for?

Steve's comment, the 110 th congress is a "pay as you go" congress, we don't pass any bills if we don't have the money. The only thing congress passed that wasn't a pay as you go was the ATM fix. What? Is his congress a pay as you go congress? Can someone clarify his double speak?

Some general comments and, promises, campaign pledges, what ever you want to call them from my good buddy Steve.

V.A. hospital in Green Bay. - wants the vets vote.
3% tax deduction on health care. - wants the elderly vote.
3% deduction on property taxes.- wants everyone's vote.
Wants purchasing pools in health care.- going for the uninsured vote
Wants government controls on prescription drugs.- going for the elderly vote again.
Doesn't like WTO. - doesn't like business and likes union votes.
Wants lawyers to sue China - wants lawyer pac money or just cash donations from trial lawyers.

Dr K did say he is "All in favor of campaign finance reform" - doesn't say what kind but is a good sound bite. I guess we might find out what kind he will now be in favor of. What will save his behind? Family campaign donations can sometimes get you in a jam if they are not on the up and up, we shall see.

Wants to protect higher paid employees - I think he meant teacher union jobs, you little non union folks can take a hike.

Said everyone's purchasing power is down - say what, good sound bite.

Thanks Steve for all your hard work.

P. S. Thinking back on my experience, I wondering if I should next time introduce myself to Mr. Kagen and his assistant ( I think his name was Jake). " Pleasure to meet you Mr. Kagen, I'm Paul , I have a Blog called "Berry Laker" and I also comment on "WTH" blog site.

Do you think he would shake my hand? It's worth a try. Steve, see you next time.

Please help us send Dr. Kagen back to private practice.

2 comments:

Captain Ron said...

I see why nobody comments on your blog. You speak in jibberish and are obviously the most uneducated person in the world of blogging. It's evident that you do not spend any time researching what you talk about and clearly are one of those who blindly follow the propaganda promulgated by the Republican Party, who couldn't tell the truth even if it meant abolishing the IRS. Stick to copying other peoples' stories.

Paul - Berry Laker said...

To Blue Revolution, Thank You for your comment, your alway welcome.