Monday, September 13, 2010

My Vote For The Wis. 8th

This is not a tough call on my part. I have not been sitting on the fence but thought I would wait till today to explain my decision. There are four candidates on the ballot for the Wisconsin Congressional 8th district. Candidate Mark Savard has since stepped down from the race but is still on the ballot. I also will note there are a lot of good conservative blogs in the Wis. 8th. They all have deep beliefs in who they are choosing in this race. Isn't our country great. God Bless America.

Now, let me get to the point. I do not endorse any candidate. I will only tell you who I believe in, who I will vote for and who I think should defeat Steve Kagen. That is the bottom line in this race. Steve Kagen is bad for the 8th district and needs to be sent home to his private practice. A side note, notice how Kagen is running commercials calling himself "Dr Steve Kagen", Dr Kagen will not be able to run away from his vote on Obama Care.


"T" - Terri McCormick

1) Terri McCormick ran back in 2006 against John Gard. She keeps bringing up the 06 election and accuses the republicans of backing Gard and dissing her. The bottom line, she did not have major support in 06 but also has an ax to grind about it. I was not very happy when I heard a lot of her supporters went to the Steve Kagen camp that year. That just stuck me strange at the time.

2) McCormick got a lot of her campaign money from gamblers and others in Nevada. What support is she getting from the people of the 8th? Is she running in Wisconsin or Nevada?

3) When I heard she slammed Roger Roth, a vet who served in Iraq about his service, that took me over the top. Rhymes With Clowns posted about it and Party of Know has a post and this image of Roger Roth.

Belittling the honorable contribution of military men and women who don't happen to be in the infantry is bad enough.


How can McCormick say such a thing. She's a loose cannon. McCormick is too into herself trying to be a consultant to the voters of the 8th and trying to sell more of the book she wrote.

No I cannot vote for Terri McCormick.

Reid Ribble.

I will be up front with you in that I was offered twice to sit down with Mr Ribble. I could not and will not have a discussion with Mr Ribble. I'm just a voter in Wisconsin who happens to blog. I'm just a guppy in an Olympic swimming pool.

I have only two issues with Mr. Ribble

First the young Gun endorsement from the NRCC. When Ribble announced his candidacy the NRCC hand picked Ribble as their candidate. That is my problem with with the republican party. Can they at least let the primary run it's course? A repeat from the Washington Independent about the Scozzafaca debacle in New York just turned my guts.
I was told Ribble was not on the Young Guns list and I was told he is on the lower tier of candidates on the Young Guns list. His campaign tells me no and the NRCC from last year had him on the list. From the Hill, see for yourself. So who am I supposed to believe? The wave of change is not happening because voters believe in the NRCC. So the republican party is telling voters who to vote for?

Second, the residency issue. When I heard rumbles of Ribble's residency I e mailed him and asked him that very question. On October 27th of 2009 he answered my question on his address.

I do live just a couple miles outside the district. I have stated this from the beginning of my campaign and who knows, with all the gerrymandering that goes on I may be smack dab in the middle of the 8th district after the next census. As a lifelong Fox Valley resident I have lived in and out of the 8th district several times. As you may know the southern border changes a lot. (At one time it was as far north as Green Bay)

I grew up in the 8th district, went to high school in the district, my business is in the district, most of my work and projects are in the district, I coached high school volleyball for 20 years in the district. As a lifelong resident of this area, I know this district and the issues facing it, and I have a vision for Wisconsin and America that I believe matches this district's values. I have the background and roots in this district that makes me exceptionally qualified to serve the residents of District 8 and that is what I will do each and every day in Congress.

Additionally, if the U.S. Constitution isn't concerned where I sleep at night I think the voters might not be concerned either. Since you are a conservative, I am sure that you appreciate the U.S. Constitution’s take on this and know that there is no requirement to live in a district - just the state. Let's not get distracted from seeing the big picture issues facing all Americans. The economy, jobs, taxes, two ongoing wars, etc, etc. Hopefully this answer satisfies your concern about where I sleep at night. Would it now make a difference if I choose to move to Kaukauna where my business is? Would the accusations go away or be worse? Unlike many candidates I have been honest and forth coming about where I live instead of renting an apartment or living in a hotel as some others did. In fact I have lived in the Fox Valley all of my life and made my career there and since Congressman Kagen seems so out of touch with what this country, state and district needs I am happy to campaign for real change.
So he says, "the U.S. Constitution isn't concerned where I sleep at night I think the voters might not be concerned either." Huh!

Then on September 11th, 2010 Try 2 Focus posted an article from the Appleton Post Crescent dated September 8th 2010.

You have a home in Sherwood (in the 6th Congressional District) and, after you announced your candidacy, you found a home in De Pere. You consider De Pere your primary residence?

That's where my wife and I reside. In part, we moved to De Pere because we made a decision early on in our campaign that we wanted to have our campaign office and presence in Green Bay. That was a strategic decision we made.

The issue of residency has rarely come up in the course of the conversation because people who live here know I'm from here. There's certainly no constitutional requirement for me to live a mile north from where I live now so I can be in the district — from where I live in Sherwood, my home that's in Sherwood. But they know that I've been here my whole life.

Now wait one minute. After he announce his candidacy he moved to DePere? Why didn't he tell me he moved last year in his response to me? My issue would of been put to bed, end of discussion. The issue of residency has rarely come up? Why has it not come up until last week? Did the APC ask Ribble specifically where he lives, how long has he lived there, notice the issue was brushed over. The press is either asleep or keeping it under wraps till after the primary. And what's this from last week?

"There's certainly no constitutional requirement for me to live a mile north from where I live now so I can be in the district — from where I live in Sherwood, my home that's in Sherwood."

Can someone translate that for me? I also have a problem with the JSOnline article that shows this about Ribble.

Reid Ribble

Age: 54

Address; time in district: 1959 Schuring Road, De Pere; 30 years.

Occupation: Full-time candidate; previously owned roofing and recording companies.

Elective offices: None.

Other government experience: None.

Education: Graduated from Appleton East High School; attended Grand Rapids School of Bible and Music, Grand Rapids, Mich.

Address; time in District, 30 years? I can understand his business was in the district for 30 years but that's not where he lived for thirty years! Was that a mistake in the paper? Someone pulling my leg here? COME ON!

You ask, but Berry Laker, he's right on a lot of the issues. Cut him some slack! He's got a lot of campaign money! Wink, wink, nod, nod, don't worry about it! Berry, let it go! It's no big deal!

Sorry, I will not vote for Reid Ribble.





Roger Roth

On the issues, he will repeal Obama Care, wants to ban earmarks, wants a balance budget amendment to stop the out of control spending. Right on immigration, 2nd amendment and energy. As a veteran he has served our country and will stand up for the people of the 8th district.

Roger may not have the blessing of the republican party right now but he stands for the average people of this district. Roth will get this economy back on track. He will make decisions to get jobs created, reduce big government and get Washington out of our hair. He a conservative that I can trust. But Berry Laker, he will not beat Kagen! Who says? He doesn't have a fancy web site, he needs work on his campaigning style? That may be true but he will represent me in Washington on getting this country back to the future all Americans are endowed. Party of Know made a great quote about the Roth campaign.

The way I see it, it's the 4th Quarter, Team Roger is two touchdowns behind, and the 1979 playbook's just not working. It may be up to the fans to rush the field and drag Roger across the goal line because the 'coach', whoever that is, isn't getting the job done. My advice to the campaign and the fans as well is this: find Roger's awesome and share the heck out of it before the primaries or prepare an office for Roger at the family business. Which one will it be? It looks like it's up to you, the fan, to decide...

I'm rushing the field. Count my vote for team Roger Roth.

3 comments:

Dale said...

Outsatnadin choice Laker.

Paul - Berry Laker said...

Thanks Dale,

Should be an interesting primary.

Have a GREAT week

Jeremy R. Shown said...

Laker,

Just wanted to say great post. Very well done!