Monday, September 28, 2009

McCarthy On Next Monday Night

From JSOnline
"# Enjoyable facing Favre? "I think it's going to be a lot of fun when the game starts, personally. I think it's going to be a lot of fun because it's going to be a very competitive football game. It was definitely that type of game when he was on this side, so I think it's going to be a lot of fun. Now, outside of the pure football, me personally, answering all the questions and things that I feel have nothing to do with game, that's not something I wake up every day and I'm excited to do. But that's part of the deal."
# Surprised you're now facing him: "Well, nothing surprises me in this business. It really doesn't. I know the last time we talked face to face he had desire to play in Minnesota so, yeah, I'm not surprised by it."
# On whether coaching Favre gives Packers an edge: "I think so to some degree and really on both sides of the question, as far as how well we know him, having the opportunity to practice against him every day for our defensive players that were here when Brett was here. And he's also practiced against our players every day also. When you talk about the experience of an NFL quarterback, the one thing that I've felt was invaluable when he was your quarterback is the fact that he not only played in more games than any other quarterback, but he also practiced every day. So he has a ton of experience. But frankly I just want to watch the film. I haven't watched him play yet this year, I want to see what he's doing and how he's doing it and what they're asking him to do. So that's really where my focus is."
# On if the new defense also gives an edge: "Yeah, schematically. No doubt."
# Hard to be objective watching Favre on film? "I enjoy watching film, I really do. To be honest, I'm curious to see what he's doing, what they're asking him to do, how he's playing with the new skill position players that he's with. It will be about giving Dom information. But Dom needs to set his plan and call his defense. He is not going to be calling defenses based on what my opinion is on how Brett Favre is playing. That is not going to be the focal point."
# "I was not concerned if we were going to play him, when we were going to play him. That was not part of my thought process during that time. Frankly I was more focused on getting back and coaching my team because of the amount of time I was taken from training camp with that scenario."
# Did the Favre thing impact your season? "I don't think so. I think it's an excuse. I think you're weak-minded if you think that way. I think distractions, challenges, adversity come upon your football team. Every team goes through it."
# You want to be the guy, don't you? "Oh yeah, no doubt about it. We definitely (do). We want to beat the Vikings, we want to beat everybody on the Vikings, Brett Favre included. I mean, there's no doubt about. I mean, let's not, you know...Yes, we want to win the game."" Day-after press conference: Rams game and Favre - JSOnline


No comments: