Tuesday, July 01, 2008

My Politics 101

Was on the road today and in between stops had on the local news talk radio station.

A commercial from Freedom Watch came on slamming Steve Kagen for his do nothing on high gasoline prices. Nice commercial, I like it!

As anyone who reads my blog knows I am not a tech geek, a profound speller (even with spell check), not a journalism professional. I speak from the heart. I am a conservative.

My question to all who know better then I, why is radio spots like the one against Kagen on A M Talk radio? If I'm not mistaken WTAQ 1360 Green Bay, WISN 1130 Milwaukee, WTMJ 620 Milwaukee, WSAU 550 Wausau are all right leaning conservative radio stations. I'm not sure if it is playing on all of these and others but it just struck me. I know Kagen is playing with our money and is doing nothing to reduce fuel prices. Has any MSM asked him, "will you vote to drill in ANWR?" Not that I know of.

Freedom Watch does not have to make me feel good by running the spots on A M talk radio! Generally the people who listen are mostly conservative and republican leaning listeners. Why not run spots and they may, on F M stations, I don't understand the target audience?

If I was, say , John Gard, pick your candidate or issue ad, wouldn't I try to get the voters that I don't have? If you want to grow the base, do you go after the people you have or the ones you don't have? The 18 plus voters listen to mostly F M stations. The over 65 crowd listens to e z listening or the jazz hour. I am some what of a informed voter so I really do not need a push or I do not need to hear a commercial on my candidate or an important issue like higher taxes. I don't need a soft fuzzy, I know what I am going to do in the elections and no one needs to tell me who to blame for higher gasoline prices.

How about running spots on Bob and Tom WOZZ or Dave and Carol on WKLH? Or Saturday mornings during the Polka Party? Probably would get a better rate at off peak drive times. Or if you are going to pay top dollar, flood the F M dial. These young voters are paying high gasoline prices too. They need to hear who is shafting them on fuel prices.

Now I tried to find the spot that is running and what stations it might be playing on but as of this post do not have that information.

Let me address a lot of political ads. They get all fancy with bells and whistles. Just tell the uninformed people how much they are paying for gasoline since the dems took over congress. Tell the uninformed voters how much more they are paying for food since the dems took over on 07. Get back to simple straight forward information the voters understand. Tell them milk prices, LP prices for winter, a case of Pepsi or Coke, go ahead tell them how much more a case of beer costs, they can relate to things they see and buy everyday. From diapers to toilet paper, that's all they know and understand. As for myself, don't tell me, I already know!

Conservative politicians and citizen groups advertising for support, contributions and votes, go after the people you don't have, I'm already on board. Spend your money wisely.

That's my Politics Class101

No comments: