Monday, August 23, 2010

I Had The Same Ribble Question

Kerry Thomas via Party of Know had a question about Wisconsin 8th District candidate Reid Ribble. Party of Know is unconfortable with it. I guess I'm in the same boat.

Ribble lives in the 6th District, not the 8th

(see map). Oh, sure, he says he does business in the 8th. I know quite a few people who do business in the 8th but don’t live here. They’re not residents. They can’t vote here.


Because I do blog, and am a concerned voter in the Wisconsin 8th I thought I would ask Mr Ribble the question of residency. Here's what I asked him on Oct 26, 2009.

Mr. Ribble,

could you please tell me if you live in the 8th district of Wisconsin or in specifically the 6th district of Wisconsin?

If you are not in the 8th, what are your plans? Do you not have to live in the district you are running for office for, the 8th? Just want you to clarify.

Could you please give me any information that will clear up my question.


Here is his response on Oct 27, 2009.

Paul,

thanks for contacting me. I would much rather you ask questions of me directly rather than believing the rumor mill.

I do live just a couple miles outside the district. I have stated this from the beginning of my campaign and who knows, with all the gerrymandering that goes on I may be smack dab in the middle of the 8th district after the next census. As a lifelong Fox Valley resident I have lived in and out of the 8th district several times. As you may know the southern border changes a lot. (At one time it was as far north as Green Bay)

I grew up in the 8th district, went to high school in the district, my business is in the district, most of my work and projects are in the district, I coached high school volleyball for 20 years in the district. As a lifelong resident of this area, I know this district and the issues facing it, and I have a vision for Wisconsin and America that I believe matches this district's values. I have the background and roots in this district that makes me exceptionally qualified to serve the residents of District 8 and that is what I will do each and every day in Congress.

Additionally, if the U.S. Constitution isn't concerned where I sleep at night I think the voters might not be concerned either. Since you are a conservative, I am sure that you appreciate the U.S. Constitution’s take on this and know that there is no requirement to live in a district - just the state. Let's not get distracted from seeing the big picture issues facing all Americans. The economy, jobs, taxes, two ongoing wars, etc, etc. Hopefully this answer satisfies your concern about where I sleep at night. Would it now make a difference if I choose to move to Kaukauna where my business is? Would the accusations go away or be worse? Unlike many candidates I have been honest and forth coming about where I live instead of renting an apartment or living in a hotel as some others did. In fact I have lived in the Fox Valley all of my life and made my career there and since Congressman Kagen seems so out of touch with what this country, state and district needs I am happy to campaign for real change.

If I can answer any more questions or you would like to meet me please let me know.

Sincerely,


Reid
Interesting.

Then I had a couple of emails back and forth with Kerry Niemcek, a Ribble spokesperson. I asked if Reid would answer some other questions in the future about issues in the Wis. 8th. Also, a side note, not sure why but Reid did offer to talk to me about political issues. You know a one on one. I politely turned it down. I was not comfortable with a one on one sit down. Here is Kerry's response to me on May 21, 2010.

Paul,

We welcome the opportunity to answer questions for your blog. Reid would be interested in answering questions for your blog. Forward them at your convenience.
In answer to your P.S.: Reid has a residence in the Town of Lawrence, which is in the 8th Congressional District.
That said, the house in Sherwood has been on the market since last summer. Until the market improves and the house is sold, he remains the owner.


I still have my concerns about voting for Reid Ribble because of this and other issues that are playing out. As Todd at Party of Know did ask, I too wonder if Jerry Bader or someone else in the press will ask Mr Ribble about this.

6 comments:

Dad29 said...

Huh. Interesting.

Paul - Berry Laker said...

Dad,

I find it troubling.

Have a GREAT week.

Roth Backer said...

Interesting that Ribble criticizes people that move into an apartment just to claim residency. That IS JUST WHAT RIBBLE HAS DONE RECENTLY. He moved to an apartment in De Perre. LOL!

Paul - Berry Laker said...

To the Roth Backer. Thanks for the comment.

I hear you, can we say

CARPETBAGGER?

I'm just asking?

Have a GREAT week.

Anonymous said...

His house has been off the market since june. First he says he isn't one of those guys living in a hotel or apt. and the next thing his campaign says is he is living in an apt.

Without a voting record, all we can do is TRUST what he says. Kagen would rip him for this and other inconsistencies... no doubt... but I don't think he makes it past sept 14

Paul - Berry Laker said...

Anon, thanks for the comment.

If what you say is true, I would think Ribble has some explaining to do.

Have a GREAT day.