Friday, October 10, 2008

Parent Neglect

An article in the October 8, 2008 issue of the Oconto County Times-Herald.

Headline

Gillett School District Offers Breakfast Program For Grades 6-12


Gillett - Begining Monday October 6th Gillett School District students in grades 6-12 will have the same opportunity K-3 students have enjoyed the past three years - that being to eat breakfast at school.

The new program is being made possible through a School Breakfast Start Up Grant received from the DPI in conjunction with the United States Department of Agriculture Nutritional Enhancement Project.

For the whole article you can go buy a Oconto County Times Herald at most stores in Oconto County.

The article gives no details so I am assuming it is a FREE breakfast program to all students. I am commenting on the article as I see it in print.

OK it's not parent neglect but doesn't it kind of tell you that all parents in the Gillett School district cannot give their children breakfast?

I have to stop myself because I do not know all details of the program. Calm down, I will try to get more facts to be fair.

Just a couple of questions.

Why all students?

Why not just for the students and families that need the program?

Is their extra costs to the district for the program?

Your 401 K took a hit this week, we have a 850 billion dollar bail out and now we have to give everybody breakfast.

If the grant money drys up, does the district have to cover the program out of the school budget?

I admit not going to the school board meetings but still question the motives.

I have a problem with some from the the Kremlin of the west (Madison) making changes to the school district that someday in the future will cost more to the people of Gillett. We are Gillett Wisconsin not Middleton or Sun Praire Wisconsin. I do not value liberals from Madison.

I will have to stop before I regret it.

No comments: