Tuesday, May 27, 2008

From Owen at "Boots and Sabers"

"More People Using Food Stamps in Wisconsin

This looks bad.

Need for food stamps rising

Madison - Rising food prices and the slumping economy have contributed to a steep increase in food stamp participation in Wisconsin.

The number of households in the food stamp program, called FoodShare, has increased nearly 10% since a year ago, higher than the 6.5% increase seen nationally.

No doubt, the high food and energy prices are causing hardship. But also remember this:


Sorry, but $186.85 is a lot of money for groceries. It wouldn’t feed my family of six, but it would make a huge dent in the grocery bill. The purpose of food stamps is not for the taxpayers to buy all of a family’s groceries. The purpose of food stamps is to help them buy the staples to keep everyone healthy. Don’t cry to me that “the level of benefits is sometimes a disincentive for people to apply” when the taxpayers are struggling to pay their own bills. If $185.85 per month is too little for someone to bother with applying, then they surely don’t need it.

And for the record, an average of $186.85 is about $33 million per month in taxpayer-funded food for folks in Wisconsin. " Boots & Sabers - The blogging will continue until morale improves...


Owen, when is enough, enough? You make some great points and one has to wonder what will our future bring? You are right on the travesty of the food stamp program, bully!

How long will people put up with handouts and conservative people flipping the bill? I will tell you I am not a McCain fan! What is the difference between all three candidates today? Not very much so far! What happens if McCain wins, gov keeps spending, gas prices go higher, the economy goes south. It will put a nail in the Republican Party. It is those rascally republicans fault, never a democrat! We have to all get along and give up our beliefs for the sake of winning an election. Is it better to cave to the left and center for the sake of getting along? To get the moderate vote, to get elected? I am not happy with President Bush but for how many more years no matter who is in office will they say "it's Bush's fault, for God's sake, he is not running for office, get over it!

I agree people are getting used to feeding at the trough, but no matter what the right tries to do or what the right will say, it is always our fault! I wonder if it is better to vote (Obama or Clinton) and let the house of cards fall. You republicans , don't get bent out of shape for that comment unless you are insecure! Someone has to say what is on the mind of people who don't read blogs, watch CNN and read the local newspapers with a slant from the left.

No matter what the right does, people go for the handouts and it’s the candidate with the elephant that is to blame for the bloated big government! I know I am suppose to tow the party line but I question the party. What is our direction? How much more blame can we take? It is not all our fault! To get elected we have to move to the center? The blogs on the right do the very best to get the word out but it only gets to other bloggers, and politicians in our gov., not much farther! I as a blogger am trying to package , correct spell, correct format to look like I am professional! In the end, does it really matter? Slick marketing does not connect with a lot in main stream America. I have said before, "I blog for myself and not what others might think or say. I blog to someday tell my children or grand children what their crazy old man and grandfather thought and said. I do not get paid so you have the choice to read or don't read my blog! Jim, if I use the wrong there or their , get over it!

There are a few like Scott Walker that hold my beliefs in their future. Some so called conservatives will say one thing in the press and vote different, ie farm bill, suing OPEC just to name a few.

The need for food stamps is not a new issue, it is not because of high fuel prices that the gov. advertises for more people to take food stamps! It is the creation of gov. that people feel the "I have it coming" attitude after they just decided not to pay their home mortgage loan.

The blogs make some great points but when will a conservative take charge and do what is right, No matter what happens to gov., to welfare , to food stamps, to ear marks, to social security, My family and I will not participate. We will do what is best for ourselves and the hell with the rest.

Someone once told me that character is doing something good or right when no one is looking. I hope my children have learned that and can take that with them the rest of their lives.

I think I had enough for one night. Thank you Owen for letting me vent from your post. I feel better now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You raised some good points about our elected officials and the impact the media has in shaping public opinion. Clearly you are a Fred Thompson supporter (nothing wrong with that!) and presumably he best represents what you believe in for America. Question: Are you willing to compromise your vote by casting it for another candidate (whom you feel is less qualified than Fred Thompson) simply to exercise your right to vote?

It would seem to me that if none of the remaining candidates represent your beliefs you would be better off withholding your vote and standing by your principles. I mention this because this is my personal course of action in all elections - I back the candidate whose platform is compatible with my own beliefs, but if that candidate is eliminated I refuse to vote for "second best". Perhaps Americans should stop voting along party lines or for the "lesser of two evils" and simply stand up for what they believe in.

I have no problem casting my vote for "None of the above" (or alternately writing in the name of the candidate of my choice) nor do I consider this a wasted vote. The only wasted vote is the one cast with doubts and reservations.

Paul - Berry Laker said...

Thanks Steve for your comments. I am a conservative first and a republican second. I am just sick and tired of candidates telling us they will give us tax credits and then in office raise taxes. They say they are against earmarks and then call them investments to try to fool us. The biggest problem is most people are so guleable and believe all they hear. The Fred Thompson on my blog is just a protest against the moderate RINO republicans that have given up their core beliefs. Have a GREAT week and thank you again.